Pages

Friday 7 January 2011

Coming Up in 2011 #2 - The Shadowing: Hunted by Adam Slater

The second book to appear in my "Coming Up In 2011" feature is by Adam Slater, an author I very much doubt many of you have heard of, but believe me when I say that this will not be the case for much longer. I first heard about his debut horror book, The Shadowing: Hunted, a few weeks before Christmas when I stumbled across a Twitter conversation between by good friend Liz from My Favourite Books and a representative from Egmont Books. I mentioned the conversation in a blog post at the time, as part of their chat included the awesome cover art for this book. At the time I only provided a link to the cover as I was asking the question "Is this the scariest, goriest YA horror book cover yet?". Now that we are into a new year I have decided what the hell.... might as well have this on the blog now:




Since writing that blog post I have now had the chance to read the book, and it is brilliant. I thought that 2010 had been a good year for horror books, but at this rate 2011 could beat it hands down! And now that I have read the story, for some reason the cover seems less gory to me, as I now know exactly how the image fits into the story, and the image fits the story perfectly. My review will appear in a couple of months time, nearer to publication date, but in the meantime this is what Adam Slater has to say to readers of The Book Zone about his new book:

What would you do if you found out that not only could you see ghosts, but a load of demons were about to cross over into our world, and you were the only person who could stop them? That’s exactly what teenager Callum Scott faces in my new horror series, The Shadowing. His only backup is ghost boy Jacob and his giant spectral dog, Doom. And those demons aren’t going down without a fight. Soon Callum’s being hunted, and by something you wouldn’t want to encounter in your worst nightmares… If you like skin-crawling horror fiction, you’ll love The Shadowing!

2 comments:

  1. Blimey, I think that is one of the scariest covers I have ever seen full stop, let alone YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought when I first saw the image, but when put it into context and it fits the story so well. I reckon it is also going to guarantee that a lot of boys will want to read it, although there will probably be a good few librarians out there who will be too nervous to put it on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete